[Tweeters] Re: Gyrfalcon back @ 127th - thanks and an RFI

Rick Taylor taylorrl at outlook.com
Thu Mar 20 19:49:02 PDT 2014

Barb,

I must admit that I don't post to tweeters and inland-NW-birds as often as I
once did. I use BirdLog, for the iPhone/iPad and Android, which is designed
specifically for entering data in the field and uploading it to eBird. I
find it far more convenient than using the old Rite-In-Rain notebooks for
field sightings and then entering them in Avisys or eBird upon getting home
and then writing something up on tweeters. Using an iPad mini with BirdLog,
my lists are submitted when I get back to my car. Others are then able to
see my sightings on eBird by the time I've pulled out of the parking lot.

eBird works best if you have a free account and enter lists. However, you
can still explore the range and point maps, hotspots, locations, and
location specific bar charts, and view rare bird alerts even without the
free account. What you can't get are alerts for 'needs' on the website
without setting up the free account.

Here are links to some of the eBird outputs that I use frequently (the
examples are all for Snohomish County; but, the outputs work worldwide)

. Rare Bird Alert http://ebird.org/ebird/alert/summary?sid=SN35706

. Explore a Location
http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-WA-061?yr=all

. Explore a Hotspot http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L1667064?yr=all
<http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L1667064?yr=all&m=&rank=mrec> &m=&rank=mrec

. Bar Graph http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?step=saveChoices
<http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?step=saveChoices&getLocations=counties&paren
tState=US-WA&bMonth=01&bYear=1900&eMonth=12&eYear=2014&reportType=location&c
ounties=US-WA-061&continue.x=45&continue.y=8>
&getLocations=counties&parentState=US-WA&bMonth=01&bYear=1900&eMonth=12&eYea
r=2014&reportType=location&counties=US-WA-061&continue.x=45&continue.y=8

. Range Map http://ebird.org/ebird/map/wooduc?bmo=01
<http://ebird.org/ebird/map/wooduc?bmo=01&emo=12&byr=1900&eyr=2014&env.minX=
-122.399&env.minY=47.776&env.maxX=-120.905&env.maxY=48.299&gp=true>
&emo=12&byr=1900&eyr=2014&env.minX=-122.399&env.minY=47.776&env.maxX=-120.90
5&env.maxY=48.299&gp=true

There are also several apps for using the data in the field on your mobile
device. I have RareBirder on my Windows Phone that provides rare bird
alerts from the eBird data. It provides directions from your location to
the bird. I also use BirdsEye NA on my iPad mini. Both work without an
eBird account to direct you to the birds around you. If you have an account
and set it up on BirdsEye, you can filter the lists to only those birds that
you haven't seen in that county or state.

Given the power and convenience of eBird, I see forums like tweeters
changing from a rare reporting and finding bird tool into more of a
generalized bird discussion forum.

Good birding!

Rick

Rick Taylor