[Tweeters] Raptors at Dry Falls Overlook

Brian Pendleton kc7wpd at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 20 09:28:24 PDT 2014

The local hawks put on a show while David and I stopped for lunch yesterday at the Dry Falls Interpretive Center overlooking sun Lakes State Park. As we got out of the car, a Prairie Falcon was screaming and diving on a Red-tailed Hawk. The hawk soared off to the south and the Prairie circled up to the east where it was joined by a Peregrine up against the clouds. We saw the Red-tail a couple more times as we ate our sandwiches and the Prairie Falcon soared by at eye level heading down the valley while I was peeling an orange. Finally as we were packing up we heard screaming again and looked up to see a pair of Peregrine Falcons dive-bombing an adult Golden Eagle.
The sunlit Violet-green Swallows were particularly green and violet as they circled over the shady talus slopes below the overlook.

Brian Pendleton
kc7wpd at hotmail.com
Auburn, WA