[Tweeters] Mountain Bluebirds on Orcas Island

Kim L Middleton kim at kimmiddleton.com
Wed Mar 19 09:44:36 PDT 2014

Good birding around Eastsound, WA yesterday. At Crescent Beach Preserve
there were close views of Black Oystercatchers, Pileated Woodpecker, Pacific
Wren and Brown Creeper. On the other side of Mt. Baker Road at
Stonebridge/Terrill Beach Road Preserve I saw three Mountain Bluebirds
foraging in the new habitat restoration area. There was also 20+ robins and
a beautiful male Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) foraging with the
bluebirds. On the other side of the field I watched an adult Peregrine
Falcon stoop on some ducks on a pond and a Turkey Vulture soared overhead.
In the wetlands at the intersection of Terrill Beach Rd and Mt. Baker Rd
were two Virginia Rails calling back and forth. Birding is good on Orcas
Island. We also have Golden Eagles. Orcas Island will host a Bird and
Wildlife Festival April 10-12th with many activities including birding this
section of Orcas and a variety of marine boat and kayak trips. Thor Hanson
author of Feathers and Bud Anderson of Falcon Research Group will be part of
a great line up. Check the festival activities out at
http://orcasislandbirdfest.com/Home/.

Kim Middleton

360-317-5605

<http://www.kimmmiddleton.com/> www.KimMiddleton.com