[Tweeters] Kittitas County 3/16 (Tim Brennan)

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 15:51:11 PDT 2014

Hi Tweets,

thanks Tim for the great report, it was fun bumping into you. Bruce LaBar
and I birded Old Vantage Highway yesterday morning before our WOS board
meeting in Ellensburg. We too spotted a LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE on the power
lines along Old Vantage H near the Ginkgo Petrified Forest SP--Interpretive
Trail. Broad black mask, large bulky head in comparison to body, darker
gray head/nape/back. Great fun to see this species.

Another unexpected sighting was a fly over of SWAINSON'S HAWK just west of
Whiskey Dick Wildlife Area. The buteo was gliding over the road in a
southerly direction over a pasture, and at first we thought "Osprey." As
it kited in the steady wind we appreciated the long tapered "candle stick
like" wings and the white underwing coverts contrasted with the nearly
black remiges. As the raptor banked we could see the chocolate brown
topside with a light base to the tail, very nice!

At Ginkgo Petrified Forest SP -- Interpretive Overlook we observed SAY'S
PHOEBE, ROCK WREN, and CALIFORNIA QUAIL.

At Quilomene Wildlife Area/Old Vantage Highway "east entrance" we observed
high numbers of singing SAGEBRUSH SPARROW, plus SAGE THRASHER, MOUNTAIN
BLUEBIRD, WESTERN MEADOWLARK and HORNED LARK.

At Bettas Rd off 97 between Ellensburg and Cle Elum on our way home, we
heard SOOTY GROUSE booming in a partially burned stand of mixed forest
along the hillside. A great way to end the day.

Don't forget! The WOS 2014 Conference in Yakima has it's registration on
Sunday March 30th at 8:00am.

Good birding,
Shep