[Tweeters] RE: White-headed Woodpecker site(s) near Cle Elum

william boyington wrboyington at msn.com
Tue Mar 11 19:01:11 PDT 2014

Tweeters,

Thanks to all who gave me recommendations/directions to finding WHWOs near Cle Elum. Two stops at the Suncadia location got me a couple of looks; the first look was just a quick flyover, so I stopped back later and saw one at a feeder, though briefly. The other site recommended was the Swauk Cemetery, which, during my visit there, was mostly peaceful and quiet (aside from a Northern Flicker calling from a short distance away and a Steller's Jay noisily passing through.)

The morning stop at the Suncadia spot did have a couple other good birds for me. I was entertained for a time by at least four Pygmy Nuthatches, with two having a bit of an aerial dustup that put both of them temporarily on the ground. A couple of Mountain Chickadees were nearby as well. Also, a pair of Red-breasted Nuthatches looked handsomer, I thought, than the ones I see in my yard.

Good birding,

Bill Boyington
Shoreline, WA