[Tweeters] Violet-green Swallows, Anacortes

Kristi Hein khc at picturesandwords.com
Tue Mar 11 13:06:00 PDT 2014

Hi Tweeters,

A single VGSW was soaring around our neighborhood today, March 11. Five
blocks from our house, so comparing to our yard list first sightings is
not scientifically precise, but this is WAY early (two to four weeks
early) compared with my records of arrivals in past years:
2013: 3/27
2012: 4/12
2011: 4/15
2010: 4/14
2009: 4/4
2008: 4/2
2007: 3/26

I hope they will use "their" nest box on our garage this year. After
seven consecutive years of nesting, in 2012 they were put off by heavy
road work by PSE, and last year B-C Chickadees had a failed clutch in
the box; we were away for three weeks in May so didn't observe what the
swallows did. In one prior year they vigorously threw out the nesting
chickadees and took their place.

Enjoy the spring arrivals!

Kristi Hein
<http://www.picturesandwords.com/words/>Anacortes