[Tweeters] More Eurasian Widgeons, and a puzzler

Jason Hernandez jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 20:39:55 PST 2014

In Evergreen Rotary Park, Bremerton, in the pouring rain, a huge flock of widgeons was grazing on the south lawn.  I have seen this or a similar flock before, and am certain I did not see any Eurasians on those other occasions.  However, today, I distinctly made out TWO bright rufous heads with buff foreheads.

Here's the puzzler: in addition to those two distinct male Eurasians, there was also another duck, with a rufous head but definitely no buff forehead, and it appeared to have female widgeon plumage.  Was it an unusually bright-headed female Eurasian?  Perhaps a male in some kind of eclipse plumage (though I have never seen any widgeon in eclipse before)?