[Tweeters] Best migration viewing? / and Bittern nesting ? / Hummer update / Misc. sounds and sitings

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Sat Mar 8 10:04:40 PST 2014

Hello Tweeters -

Thinking ahead (for when I'm finally out of this boot!) to spring and wondering about timing to go to Long Beach, Bottle Beach for migration. Mid April or mid May? I'm feeling the Zugunruh!!

Also wanted to go to a spot mentioned in WA Bird Guide / Opperman to see nesting Bitterns (I know they are hard to spot) at NWR Lewis Unit / Jeldness Road. Has anyone been there? Suggestions? Is there a better local spot?

The Anna's hummer is still sitting tight on the nest - I've been watching her for more than a week now. So not sure how long she'd been there prior to finding her, but I'm thinking she should have chicks fairly soon. I'm sure she relished the lovely weather yesterday. I sure did.

Heard a Barred Owl this am (I think) and saw both Band Tailed Pigeons and quite sure a Merlin fly over.

Caryn / Wedgwood