[Tweeters] Downtown Seattle birds (peregrine update)

Warren Clemans wumpusbear at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:49:46 PST 2014

Hi all--

During the course of a 3-1/2 hour meeting this morning, I observed two
peregrine falcons at the WaMu building (or whatever it's called now) nest
site (1201 3rd Ave). At one point, one of the birds "sashayed" from one
corner of the roof to another. It was a funny bobbing walk that I've never
seen before. Courtship, I presume? The other bird spent some time at the
nest, leaving several times but then returning. Definitely a promising
sign.

Yesterday I saw 5 or 6 really lovely red-breasted mergansers on the water
north of the sculpture park, a Brandt's cormorant and a Eurasian widgeon by
the grain terminal with a large flock of American wigeon and scaup, and a
couple of red-necked grebes. Also plenty of the usual pigeon guillemots,
western grebes, and surf scoters.

Best,
Warren