[Tweeters] Seattle Audubon North Peninsula Trip Report and Photos

Qinglin Ma qinglineric at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 14:38:10 PST 2014

Hi Tweets,

This report is on behave of Lee Banes who was the trip leader.

Last Saturday Lee Barnes led a Seattle Audubon trip to northern peninsula.
6 of us rode in 2 cars. The weather was mostly dry before 4:00pm. We
stopped at the following places:

Edmonds Ferry

Salisbury County Park

Shine Tideland State Park

Port Ludlow Boat Launch at Cary & Verner Ave.

Lower Oak Bay Campground

Discovery Bay Gold Course

Fort Warden State Park

Marrowstone Island

Mystery Bay State Park

Fort Flagler State Park

The high light of the trip was the Emperor Goose near the Discovery Bay
Golf Course. According to the Golf store manager the Goose stays somewhere
on the property over night and could be seen at close range near the water
feature on the course. By 7:00am to 8:00am it flies across street to the
small lake or big pond. When you drive out of the golf course, make a left,
pass a house and the pond is to your right. We eventually found the Goose
with a few White-fronted, Cackler and Canada on the grassy ground jsut past
the pond.

Other highlights are:

6 Harlequin Ducks at the Fort Flagler State Park

Many Red-breasted Mergansers and Pigeon Guillemots

1 Red-necked Grebe

20 Black-bellied Pullovers

3 Sanderlings

2 Least Sandpipers

Many Common Loons

2 Oyster Catchers at Lower Oak Bay County Park

When I was reviewing the Emperor Goose photos, I was surprised to find a
few with all 4 species in the same shot: Canada, Cackler, Emperor and
White-fronted. The photo link is

http://flickr.com/gp/qinglinma/vLv430/

Enjoy,

Qinglin Ma