[Tweeters] Skagit swallows, Canvasbacks, etcetera

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 18:19:52 PST 2014

Dear Tweeters,

Scores of Violet-green Swallows fed over both Lake McMurray and Mud Lake (Skagit County) this afternoon, the second of March. There were a few Tree swallows with the Violet-greens at Mud Lake.

At Beaver Lake, where swallows often show up early, I saw none, but there were four Canvasbacks. This species is increasingly hard to find around here.

On the Samish Flats, at least 250 American Pipits flew around the sodden, cold, muddy ground, as snow and freezing rain flew about with them.

At Pomona Grange Park, I could not find the hoped-for Hutton's Vireo, but an American Dipper seemed to think the weather was simply perfect.

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch