[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 12:18:23 PDT 2014

The last couple of days there have been two Lesser Yellowlegs (code 4) in the Edmonds marsh. This morning they were joined by a continuing Long-billed Dowitcher (code 3), three Semipalmated Sandpipers (code 3), a Western and two Least Sandpipers. Last Friday morning (July 25th) we saw a male Yellow-headed Blackbird (code 4) in the marsh. It was the second sighting of that species this year and four birders were able to see if before it left.

Two birders independently reported a Horned Grebe in the Edmonds marina on July 5th. That is an unusual summer sighting that I forgot to mention in my last roundup. It was there for no more than a day or two. This morning from the public pier we saw our first Common Murre in many weeks, if not a couple of months. They recently have been reported from the ferry crossing but may be too far out to be seen from the waterfront. The Heermann's Gull population now seems to be around 400, perhaps a higher number than in the last several years.

The photo identification of a Baird's Sandpiper from earlier in July has been a subject of disagreement among expert birders so we have removed it from our year list. We appreciate the difficulty of photo-only IDs. Juveniles should be seen in the marsh in August. With the addition of Lesser Yellowlegs, Short-billed Dowitcher, and Semipalmated Sandpiper we are at 162 species for the year.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, Wa