[Tweeters] Skamania County Shorebirds

Wilson Cady gorgebirds at juno.com
Mon Jul 28 17:27:07 PDT 2014

Today, Eric Bjorkman, George Mayfield and I spent the day searching for shorebirds in Skamania County, where they are very tough to find. At the Doetsch Unit of Beacon Rock State park (accessed from Skamania Landing Rd.) we didn't even bother to check the pond when we noticed a crew of workers spraying weeds in the plantings around the new pond. This should be a good spot for a couple of seasons or until the vegetation covers the exposed mud that is there now. We found no waders at the Bonneville Hot Springs Resort pond but did have a MERLIN flyover while searching for Chats under the power line beyond the resort. At the mouth of Rock Creek, in Stevenson, we had 1 KILLDEER, 5 SPOTTED SANDPIPERS, 3 LEAST SANDPIPERS AND 2 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS. This is only about the fourth or fifth record of dowitchers in the county and they were there both in the morning and again in the afternoon when we checked on our way back home. We checked the boat launch area at the mouth of the Wind River and found 1 eclipse plumaged male BARROW'S GOLDENEYE and a male PURPLE MARTIN, but no shorebirds. One more SPOTTED SANDPIPER was found at Home Valley Park and then headed for the Klickitat County line to check the newly created mudflats and sandbars that were created when the dam was removed on the White Salmon River, we found no other shorebirds. This spot looks good but I don't think that there has been enough time to build up a population of insects etc. in the mud to attract shorebirds yet Wilson Cady
Columbia River Gorge, WA