[Tweeters] Summer Vagrants

Rob Conway robin_birder at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 27 23:42:33 PDT 2014

Today at my backyard feeders I had Cassin's Finches (at least 5) and a Calliope Hummingbird (male, beautiful purple ruff edged gorget). Wondering if the rainstorm from a couple of days ago drove them to lower ground.

Also at the feeders good numbers of both American and Lesser Goldfinch, many Black Headed Grossbeaks, Mourning Doves (under the feeder), House Finches, BC and CB Chickadees, Red Breasted Nuthatch (no White for a week), Song Sparrows and Spotted Towhees.

The woods at the edge of the property still have a Nashville Warbler, 2 yellow Warblers, at least 3 species of flycatcher and Downy, Hairy, and Pileated Woodpeckers as well a Northern Flicker, and RB Sapsuckers. The juvenile Red-tailed hawks are still around but much less vocal and the Turkey Vultures fly the ridge all day long. Red Crossbills are almost daily visitors to water features. Anna's Hummers are back in numbers (at least 7) and there are still 2 Rufous in the mix. I heard California Quail this morning, but not sure if it is the real thing or starlings doing an immitation.
Good Birding!
Rob

Rob Conway
Camas, WA