[Tweeters] head tufts

pan panmail at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 21 07:43:15 PDT 2014

Barry,

I've seen birds of many species, mostly passerines, with symmetric head
tufts (like ears/horns) in summer. These have been recently fledged
birds, in which the last vestiges of semi-downy nestling plumage
persists on the upper sides of the head, sometimes seemingly attached to
the ends of incoming feathers. I've got a newbie Song Sparrow out my
window right now that could almost qualify. When I was a kid, people
(unfortunately) brought me recently fledged birds, thinking the birds
were abandoned, and many had this feature. That would be my first
hypothesis.

Cheers,

Alan Grenon
Seattle