[Tweeters] odd heron at Nisqually

jbroadus at seanet.com jbroadus at seanet.com
Sun Jul 20 12:53:43 PDT 2014

Thought I would add to the report on last Wednesday's bird walk at Nisqually, that several of us spotted an
odd looking Great Blue Heron. Several primaries on both wings, and some primary coverts, were entirely
white. They were not the same feathers on each wing; such taht each wing had different white panels. The
entirety of the white feathers were white, with no gradations from any blueish color. Also, the head and
back of neck were a little lighter and browner than usual-- not as striking as a Wurderman's would look-- but
not quite right for a northwest GBHE. The bird flew by and had very yellow feet and dark tarsi (since seeing
this bird I have noted that other GBHE at Kent Ponds also have feet that are lighter colored than the legs--
sort of tawny, but on this bird the foot color was striking). I suppose some of its white plumage genes were
being expressed; made for an interesting bird. Jerry Broadus
PLS 17660