[Tweeters] Baby Elf Owls rescued from Acorn Woodpecker assault

Ed Newbold ednewbold1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 16:49:53 PDT 2014

Hi all,

We had to visit the Southwest recently, where, thankfully, the rains are off to a pretty good start.  When we stopped by at the Cave Creek Ranch in Portal, AZ, we were shown a baby Elf Owl that along with a sibling had survived a concerted Acorn Woodpecker assault.  Apparently there is bad blood between these two species: who knew?  A shot of the birds and more on the story, unfortunately Paul Bannick wasn't along or they'd be much better, are at my blog at:

http://ednewbold.com/rescue-babies-and-rattling-cocktail-guests-in-the-desert/

scroll past the hummer, Grosbeak and Gray Fox shots.

Thanks all,
Ed Newbold