[Tweeters] eBird Report - Lake Sammamish State Park, Jul 15, 2014

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard scormieraa001 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 17 12:36:53 PDT 2014

Hi Tweets,

For those who like to know what's being seen at LSSP, here's my monthly bird walk report:

Lake Sammamish State Park, King, US-WA
Jul 15, 2014 8:09 AM - 12:09 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments: Sharon Aagaard and Stan Wood birded with 14 others at Eastside Audubon's monthly bird walk at Lake Sammamish State Park on July 15, 2014, from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. The morning low cloud cover burned off to sunny skies by 9:30 am, with temps ranging 60-75F, and 3-5 mph winds. HIGHLIGHTS: Roberta and a couple others briefly saw a female WOOD DUCK with five young in Tibbitts Creek near the bridge; Veda was on the alert and spotted an adult GREEN HERON feeding quietly in the pond at the south end of the Costco parking lot; a MERLIN was perched and feeding on a snag at the west beach; at least two SPOTTED SANDPIPERS were at the mouth of Issaquah Creek, along with two LEAST SANDPIPERS; two sightings of young RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS; good, close looks at 2-3 BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS foraging in the low bushes; a brief vocalization from a couple of BULLOCK'S ORIOLES gave 1-2 of us a very quick sighting. No Bald Eagles, very few swallows, no vireos, very quiet Willow Flycatchers, Marsh Wrens and Black-headed Grosbeaks, no Pac-Slope Flycatchers, and very few Savannah Sparrows. Of note: Stan saw 2 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS and several COMMON MERGANSERS a couple days before this walk. 45 species for the day; and 122 species for the year. The next bird walk is AUGUST 13. No pre-registration, just show up depending on your mood or the weather. Since this is a state park, a Discover Pass is necessary to park ($10 daily, $30 annual). We meet in the large parking lot to the left just inside the main park entrance, now signed as the Costco Parking lot but we meet at the far end towards the lake (not the boat launch entrance). Submitted from BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.3
45 species

Canada Goose 22
Wood Duck 6 1 f 5 young
Mallard 22
Great Blue Heron 1
Green Heron 1 Costco parking lot pond
Osprey 1
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Killdeer 1
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Least Sandpiper 2
Band-tailed Pigeon 6
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Rufous Hummingbird 1
Red-breasted Sapsucker 2 2 immat
Downy Woodpecker (Pacific) 1
Northern Flicker 1
Merlin 1
Western Wood-Pewee 1
Willow Flycatcher 2
American Crow 22
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 5 3 young perched on tip of short snag being fed -- at mouth of Issq Creek
Tree Swallow 8
Violet-green Swallow 8
Barn Swallow 8
Black-capped Chickadee 8