[Tweeters] Blewett BBS, 2014

lsr at ramoslink.info lsr at ramoslink.info
Mon Jul 14 19:37:51 PDT 2014

In the end of June (sorry for the delay!), Sharon Aagard and I ran another
BBS in the Liberty/Blewett Pass area, our third year doing so. This route
starts at the Liberty Rd turnoff, climbs back roads roughly northward,
crosses Hwy 97 and climbs and descends the old Blewett Pass highway.
Although habitat does not vary dramatically, changes in elevation mean
there is variation in predominant species. This tweet summarizes
observations and contrasts with our past experiences doing the route.
Total species count this year was our highest yet--58 species--although
total individuals (1020 this year) was higher in 2012. But, both species
and totals were much higher than last year. We suspected that the Table
Mountain fire of 2012 may have had an impact last year as, in fact, a few
of our stops showed damaged trees. However, this year, those same areas are
showing rapid recovery. Perhaps most remarkable was the resurgence in
Williamson's Sapsucker. We had noted two pair in visible nest trees in
2012. One of those trees was gone after the fire. The other nest tree still
had very busy occupants this year. And, the total number of WISA went from
2 last year to 14 this year!
Variation in species numbers across these three years is interesting; see
the table of selected species below. Townsend's Warbler and Western Tanager
continue to be the most abundant birds on average (96 and 87 this year),
and Evening Grosbeak was the most ubiquitous. While Pine Siskin dropped to
only 10 birds (87 last year), EVGR jumped from 26 to 149 birds this year.
We see few raptors on this route (just a couple of Cooper's and Red-tailed
Hawks), but, not surprisingly, lots of flycatchers, vireos and warblers.
The following species were found at at least half of the stops:Evening
Grosbeak 47 stops
Western Tanager 44
Townsend's Warbler 38
Chipping Sparrow 35
Warbling Vireo 31
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 29
Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 29
Dusky Flycatcher 27
Swainson's Thrush 27
MacGillivray's Warbler 26
Hermit Thrush 25
While camping between our scout and count days, we heard Great Horned and
Barred Owl and several peenting Common Nighthawk.
Scott RamosSeattle

P.S. Selected totals (notable counts/differences in bold):

7/1/2012 6/29/2013 6/21/2014
Williamson's Sapsucker 6 2 14
Olive-sided Flycatcher 6 3 1
Western Wood-Pewee 64 37 36