Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Jul 10 13:03:51 PDT 2014

Tweets – a hot, sunny July day – definitely the summer doldrums are here. NOT! We had a really birdy day today, with quite a few surprises. The weather couldn’t have been better, but the birds, rather than resting in the warmth, were active and singing and about.

Highlights:

Canada Goose Mark heard some early; first in 6 weeks !
Common Merganser 1 in slough near weir; first ever for Week 28
Virginia Rail 1 SEEN from Lake Platform; none even heard for 6 weeks
Spotted Sandpiper 2 (or 3?) again at weir
Mourning Dove 1 at Compost Piles early, first ever for Week 28
Barn Owl Seen pre-dawn at windmill, East Meadow
Black Swift One over mansion area around 5:45 a.m.
R.-br. Sapsucker Adult and juvenile, west side of East Meadow
Pileated Woodpecker 1 seen, heard west of the slough
MERLIN 1 from Viewing Mound early; first ever for Week 28
Y.-rumped Warbler 2 “Audubon’s” near mansion
BL.-THR. GRAY WARBLER 2+ sightings, 3+ individuals, incl. adult feeding young
WESTERN TANAGER Female, “Mysterious Thicket: area; first ever for Week 28
Lazuli Bunting At least 1 male singing at Compost Piles

After 20 years of weekly visits, we pretty much know what species are possible for any given week. (see http://www.marymoor.org/MarymoorByWeek.pdf) Finding a species we’ve never had before during a given week is now getting to be a bit of a surprise. Getting FOUR of them today is a real surprise. (Okay, okay – we’ve probably had Western Tanager before this week, but the sighting was poor enough that it went down in my data as Uncertain Identification)

There are still at least 2 active Great Blue Heron nests, though the total number of GBHEs in the park was down significantly from past weeks. I think both adults and juveniles have moved on to less crowded sites.

It was quite a surprise to see a BLACK SWIFT on such a sunny day; normally we only see them on cloudy days.

There was a BEAVER near the mouth of Tosh Creek.

For the day, 66 species!

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com