[Tweeters] Central Skagit County birding 7/6

Scott scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 6 17:23:07 PDT 2014

Tweeters:

Tiny and I ventured out early today to cover the Rockport-to-Marblemount beat. At the Bryson Rd access, just as advertised three times on Ebird during June, I was amazed to hear a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW sing 5-6 times from the apple tree-Port Orford cedars row, though I was never able to get a look. I don't know of a comparable mid-summer record west of the Cascades. Also here were two BLACK SWIFTS over the Sauk River, and a whole lot of signs of BLACK BEAR in the vicinity. LAZULI BUNTINGS seem unusually numerous here, with about 12 birds in the immediate area.

At Corkindale, a single AM. REDSTART called and then flew north through the shade trees. Strangely, I'm not aware of any sightings of this species from County Line this year, and was unable to find any there today. A LEAST FLYCATCHER was near the north end of Corkindale, singing repeatedly. Several BANK SWALLOWS were also in the area.

Last but not least, a female CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD was heard, then seen, at the Hwy 20 pull-off (south side of road) for Bacon Creek. The distinctive high-pitched metallic chipping call was heard, then the bird was seen a few feet off the ground before it took off eastward. Scott AtkinsonLake Stevensmail to: scottratkinson at hotmail.com