[Tweeters] Mt. St. Helens - west side hiking

Dave Hayden dtvhm at nwrain.com
Fri Jul 4 21:13:12 PDT 2014

Today, Sherry and I hiked at Mt. St. Helens, spending most of the time in Cowlitz County. We knocked off an 8 mile hike, starting at the Hummocks Trail and followed the Boundary 1 Trail up to Loowit Point. We found the trails to be very birdy all day long, lots of butterflies, and the wildflowers were just fabulous, especially at Loowit Point where there were large patches of Penstemons mixed with Paintbrush. OK, here’s a spoiler alert, you can drive to Loowit Point, it’s just before you get to Johnston’s Ridge. LAZULI BUNTINGS are increasing on the west side of the mountain. We had one on the trail and several at the Castle Lake View Point. Our best bird of the day was a single HORNED LARK feeding on the ground, seen a couple of miles along the Boundary 1 trail, still in Cowlitz Co.
Here is a list of birds seen on our hike.

Canada Goose 6
Osprey 1
Bald Eagle 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1