[Tweeters] American White Pelican John Wayne Marina, Western Meadowlark Gibson Spit (Sequim)

John Gatchet jfgatchet at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 12:51:52 PDT 2014

This morning at 10:00 am 38 AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN flew over Pitship Pocket
Esturary near John Wayne Marina. The birds were flying low and right at me
from the east. They then turned and flew to the southeast as the went over
the estuary. I lamented the fact that my camera is broken and so was
hoping that someone would see them at another location.

When I got home I was pleased to see that Bob Boekelheide reported 38
AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN from Dungeness Bay the day before. It was difficult
counting these birds as they were flying towards me and banked heading
southeast as they flew over me. It is remarkable that Bob and I came up
with the same number. When I posted on eBird I allowed for a margin of
several birds either side of the 38.

I spent almost three hours on Gibson Spit on Thursday and saw a WESTERN
MEADOWLARK in the grasslands there. This spot is near Sequim and is
accessed from Marlyn Nelson County Park. Shorebirds in this area included
KILLDEER, BLACK OYSTERCATCHER, GREATER YELLOWLEGS (2), LEAST (13) AND
WESTERN SANDPIPER (3). Four HEERMANN'S GULL were present in the waters off
Gibson Spit and two COMMON LOON. (one in breeding plumage and one in winter
gray)

LEAST and WESTERN SANDPIPER as well as GREATER YELLOWLEGS have been present
in Gardiner.

John F. Gatchet
Gardiner, WA