[Tweeters] mystery singer: Identified

Abby Larson larson8 at uw.edu
Thu Jul 3 13:31:13 PDT 2014

On the loud whistle mystery bird, I have had a towhee with a loud, clear,
energetic whistle ending in an occasional squeak in my neighborhood (near
the Arboretum) for the past two years. It really had me stumped until I
saw its lips move. In fact, there's another odd-calling towhee at
Discovery Park, it just doesn't sound anything like its usual rattling
call, just a whistle and squeak thing. If you hear it again, it's worth
looking at the treetops (again) for a towhee.

Abby
Seattle