[Tweeters] Note from Roy - 7-2-2014 - Lesser Goldfinches+

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Wed Jul 2 23:22:12 PDT 2014

Tweeters,
My wife and I were enjoying late afternoon libations on our back deck, when I spotted a "different" yellow-breasted bird facing us from a birdbath about 50-ft away. I grabbed the bins, thinking it could be a Common Yellowthroat, but the bird turned out to be a male LESSER GOLDFINCH. A robin flew down to the bath, spooking the goldfinch and a junco. However, within a few seconds, two immature Lesser Golfinches landed on a nearby feeder, long enough both my wife and I to get good views before a Black-headed Grosbeak flew onto the feeder, spooking them.

I'm hoping the Lesser Golfinches return, and I'll be looking for them the next several days. This is the first sighting of this species we've had here in Roy.

We also had our FOY Common Nighthawk fly over, calling, yesterday evening,

May all your birds be identified,
Denis DeSilvis
avnacrs4birds at outlook dot com

Sent from my Windows Phone