[Tweeters] USGS Breeding Bird Survey results for Duvall, Carnation & Fall City areas, 6/6/14

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard scormieraa001 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 2 13:37:21 PDT 2014

Hi Tweets,

Hugh Jennings and I did this annual Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) in the Duvall,
Carnation and Fall City area on 6/6/14. In his last year’s Tweeters
report, Ryan Merrill said "For those not familiar with these surveys,
they're coordinated through USGS and completed by hundreds of birders across
the country during the summer season. They're started fifteen minutes before
sunrise and consist of a series of 50 three minute point counts spaced about a
half mile apart. More information about the surveys can be found here":

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/

There are still many areas in our state that are not surveyed each year due to
lack of volunteers. If you're a good sight and birder by ear, consider
making a commitment to do this once a year. These surveys are
very beneficial as well as fun!

Our Carnation BBS route has been surveyed every year since 1968, and this is my
and Hugh's third year. At 4:42 AM, our first stop was just west of Duvall, and our 50th
stop ended at 9:40 AM, just downstream of Snoqualmie Falls. Our June 6 survey resulted
in 939 individuals of 76 species (our record high). Among the most common
birds were 120 American Robins, 65 Song Sparrows, 45 Swainson’s Thrushes, 35
Black-headed Grosbeaks, 31 Cedar Waxwings, 29 Willow Flycatchers, 29 American
Goldfinches, 26 American Crows, 23 Western Tanagers, 21 Common Yellowthroats, 19
Western Wood-Pewees, 17 Pacific-slope Flycatchers, 16 Yellow Warblers, 10 Band-tailed Pigeons, 8
Spotted Sandpipers, and 6 Bank Swallows (3rd year in a row we’ve
seen them in an agr field on the West Snoqualmie River Rd). Other sightings worth mentioning: 1 Western
Kingbird, 1 American Dipper at Tokul Creek, 1 Northern Harrier, 1 Olive-sided
Flycatcher, 1 Hutton’s Vireo, 1 Orange-crowned
Warbler, 1 MacGillivray’s Warbler (new for our area), and just one male Lazuli
Bunting this year (4 last year), singing in a thicket of bushes smack in the middle
of the traffic circle just north of Fall City!
The only annoying part of the survey were the 432 total
vehicles (yes, you also count vehicles) which created lots of noise,
mostly along the road into and on the way out of downtown Carnation.

It was a very satisfying morning.

Sharon Aagaard

Bellevue WA

scormieraa001 at hotmail.com