[Tweeters] Red-shouldered Hawk Gog-Le-Hi-Te, Black Phoebe

John Gatchet jfgatchet at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 19:54:45 PST 2014

This morning I stopped for my third visit to Gog-Le-Hi-Te and once again
did not find the Slaty-backed Gull. I did see the Red-shouldered Hawk from
the parking area sitting in a tree.

I traveled to Hawks Prairie Settling Ponds to look for the BLACK
PHOEBE reported from there and was able to hear and see the bird right away
on the far large pond. It was flycatching as were at least 5 RUBY-CROWNED
KINGLET. That was fun to watch. The birds were very active feeding and
moving around the edges of the ponds.

Next I went to Mounts Road to look for SWAMP SPARROW. I saw two SWAMP
SPARROW and heard another one. They were at the end of Mounts Road in the
marsh area that is part of Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge. This is the
largest number of SWAMP SPARROW I have found in the western states in one
spot.

John F. Gatchet
Gardiner, WA