[Tweeters] Skamania County Birds

Wilson Cady gorgebirds at juno.com
Fri Jan 31 17:33:07 PST 2014

Today, Les Carlson, George Mayfield and I did a little exploring of the Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County, now that the winds have ended. We started out on Fitzgerald Road on the Clark-Skamania County border where we found RED-TAILED HAWK, a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, a MERLIN and a AMERICAN KESTREL. The Rough-legged Hawk, (a Code 4 in Skamania County), was my first in the county since 2001. We checked many areas along the Columbia River all across the county to the eastern boundary with Klickitat County and were struck by the low numbers of waterfowl compared to past years. Our thought is that the three weeks of strong winds coming down the Gorge, coupled with sub-freezing temperatures forced most birds to winter elsewhere. During those three weeks the winds did not drop below 40mph and the highest wind recorded at the Vista House on the Oregon side of the river, was 122mph. On our way back west we stopped at the fairgrounds at Rock Creek in Stevenson where there was an adult GLAUCOUS GULL, (a Code 5)it and the Rough-legged Hawk were new county birds for Les and George. Wilson Cady
Columbia River Gorge, WA