[Tweeters] Wildlife Photography Code of Conduct - Tolerance and Humility Please

retief at deweydrive.com retief at deweydrive.com
Tue Jan 28 12:57:31 PST 2014

This seems to come up once a year or so, perhaps more so since the
Snowy Owl irruption 2 years ago. I am not "picking" on this thread,
and I quite agree with the sentiment, but I would like to point out
that this is really not a "Wildlife Photography" issue, but an issue
for everyone in the field. See the Lee Rentz post on Field Ethics as
an example.

I bring this up because I really do not want to see this degenerate
into a "them vs. us" issue, which these often become.

In this specific case the one photo that was posted which was obvious
was the person out the car photographing with what looked like a
tablet, that is clearly a violation. On the Sun Roof issue, it would
seem to me that education would make a lot more sense rather than
trying to publicly shame people. In speaking with the refuge
yesterday they agree that better information postings and signage
would help. Is it not entirely possible that the "sun roof
photographers" had simple not read the fine print? How many of you
read the specifics? Not many from the responses I have seen.

So, in my opinion we are all better served by educating first, being
tolerant of all groups and respecting each other, rather than by
trying to segregate groups and classes of people. A bit of tolerance
and humility goes a long way.

Bill Dewey
Marysville, WA
www.thefocusedeye.com