[Tweeters] Des Moines Sandpiper

Gary Sogard gsbssstg at msn.com
Tue Jan 28 11:57:52 PST 2014

Yesterday (Monday, 1/27), I stopped at the marina, and walked out to the end of the fishing pier. On my return trip I noticed a small brown and white bird land on a large rock at the end of the jetty enclosing the marina. Thinking it may be a Surfbird, I was surprised to find it was a Spotted Sandpiper. An unusual sighting on salt water, and in January. But there it was, tail bobbing and all.

When I left there I drove to the 239th street site mentioned by Carol and Lynn Schulz in a recent posting (Thank you!). Very small area, but rewarding. I found all three scoters, and Harlequin Ducks. In fact, at one time, I had males of all four species in the field of my binoculars at one time. A second unusual experience of the day. In addition, there was a Pacific Loon further out in the water, diving occasionally.

Gary Sogard
University Place