[Tweeters] RE: WA Birder 2013 List Reporting

washingtonbirder.Ken Knittle washingtonbirder at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 09:16:47 PST 2014

Washington Birder prefers that Washington State List and Big Day Report submissions generally follow the ABA Recording Rules and Big Day Count Rules.
A quick check of those would be a good review for all, as they seem to have been enhanced in scope and clarity since we last checked them several years ago.

ABA Recording Rules: http://listing.aba.org/aba-recording-rules/

Big Day Count Rules: http://listing.aba.org/big-day-count-rules/

Thank you Kevin for reminding us all to review and follow these guidelines when submitting our Reports.

Laurie Knittle

Ken
Knittle

Vancouver WA
98665 mailto:washingtonbirder at hotmail.com
Washington Birder online

http://www.wabirder.com/

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 08:30:53 -0800
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] WA Birder 2013 List Reporting

Since the submission deadline is coming soon, can anyone offer guidance here?

Earlier I posted to BirdYak a reminder about the Washington Birder List Report, and wrote,

"I think it's safe
to assume that the ABA listing Rules apply. The rules include the ABA
Code of Ethics, prohibiting trespassing, and for Big Day list
submissions, as Scott Downes reminded others, Big Day participants may
not solicit help from other birders during that day.

http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html"

Scott replied to BirdYak,

"In regards to the comment: "I think it's safe to assume that the ABA
listing Rules apply." I would not make that assumption. On the Washington Birder
website, it does say that Big Day reporting must follow the ABA Big Day
Count Rules.

However, for the regular listing the rules laid out on the site are:
1. Within the reporting area and time period when observed, and
2. Alive, wild and unrestrained when observed.

Many groups (including Ebird) use the ABA Code and listing rules as a
guideline but many do not follow all aspects of the listing rules. Certainly the
ABA Code of Ethics is a good model to strive for in birding. Ken Knittle does
subscribe to this list and I would assume he might chime in if he requires
strict adherence to the ABA listing guidelines for non-Big Day list reports."

Thanks for your guidance,
Kevin Lucas
Yakima, WA