[Tweeters] Current Issue of Audubon Magazine-Photoghahy awards and Disqualification Discusion

Vicki Biltz vickibiltz at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 17:46:56 PST 2014

Hi Tweets, this is a subject I have often thought about, and asked a couple
pros about in the past. Mostly Paul Bannick. When I first started
digiscoping, I made a comment about how to remove a branch. He replied
very politely, something to the affect, "You don't. Take a better picture."
Altho I sometimes do play with enhancement, I really don't know how to
remove things from photos. I do enhance the colors, sometimes saturate, as
much is lost with a crop, or dark, or overexposed photos. MY goal to to
capture what I saw. Not always captured by the camera.
I have a Canon 7D, so the crop factor does not allow the light that I
often want, especially for something like birds, which requires a higher
ISO, and causes noise in the photo when there is action.
Aside from cropping, and a bit of finish work, which is required for all
photos shot in RAW, thats really all thats needed. I do soften the edges,
or play with the vignette sometimes, but only to enhance the actually bird
photo itself. Or landscape. I have messed with AND messed UP the colors
on some as well. Just my two cents, I don't join contests, nor expect any
prizes. But I do like things to be as natural as possible.
My motto?
Take a better picture!
Vicki Biltz
Bonney Lake, WA 98391