[Tweeters] You never know what your next yard bird will be

Josh Adams xjoshx at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 12:41:50 PST 2014

Hello Tweets,
As bird yards go mine is pretty boring. My list, after being in this house
4 years, stood at a measly 51 species last week, before I managed to add my
first Sharp-Shinned Hawk and Northern Shoveler to the list over the
weekend. The former seemed like it would show up sooner than later, but the
flyover Shoveler was a nice surprise. I am still was missing some common
birds like Rufous Hummingbird, Purple Finch, Townsends Warbler, and
Black-Throated Gray Warbler. Still, I can't complain too badly since I
finally had a visit from the local Merlin before Christmas and my
heard-only Common Nighthawk flyover last summer in the middle of the
afternoon was practically the highlight of my year.

You can my surprise when I stepped outside this morning heard the repeated
calling of Belted Kingfisher from a few yards over. I have no known
standing water within a good distance so I had never even considered it as
a future edition. I stood outside for a few more minutes and was rewarded
with a singing American Goldfinch. Perhaps spring really is on the way.

Josh Adams
Lynnwood, WA