[Tweeters] Golden Eagle (juv) at Ridgefield NWR

George Gerdts geopandion at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 12:32:50 PST 2014

Tweeters:

Returning home from visiting friends in Portland, I stopped at the S
section of the Ridgefield NWR. I was hoping to relocate the Black Phoebe,
but no luck. I took the auto loop, spotted 5 Wilson's Snipe in a plowed
field along with all the wintering waterfowl, and then between marker 12
and 13, near the end of the loop, there was an eagle feeding on a recently
captured duck. A quick glance revealed the beautiful golden nape: Golden
Eagle!! I had never before seen a Golden Eagle at Ridgefield. Of course,
there are lots of Bald Eagles about, but this rarity was a real treat.

Here is a link to some photos of the bird, a juvenile. The "photo op" was
near perfect with the bird less than 50 feet away and the early morning
light coming from behind my position.

Golden Eagle at Ridgefield NWR on 23 Jan. 2013:

http://campephilus.smugmug.com/Birds/Golden-Eagle-at-Ridgefield-NWR/36257119_KhMrVS#!i=3039792093&k=zpPtWTg

George Gerdts
geopandion at gmail.com
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110