[Tweeters] Out-of-place geese, Renton

Jeffrey Bryant jbryant_68 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 22 16:51:26 PST 2014

Today, while sorting  through the 150 or so Cackling Geese at The Boeing Longacres facility in Renton, I found a lone BRANT in their midst.  Not so unusual for the general area, but I've never seen one more than a stone's throw from saltwater before.  Similarly surprising was a lone SNOW GOOSE on the muddy islands at the mouth of the Cedar River last week, roosting amid the bathing gulls.  I waited just long enough for it to pull its bill out from under its wing to be sure it wasn't something even more surprising...
Other nice additions to my yearlist today were a NORTHERN SHRIKE on the south end of the meadow at Marymoor, and my usual FOY AMERICAN KESTREL around the wetlands near 204th & Frager.  Roosting on a barn there was another FOY, EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE.

Jeff Bryant
Seattle
jbryant_68 jAT yahoo