[Tweeters] American Dipper in Kenmore

Linda Phillips linda_phillips1252 at msn.com
Mon Jan 20 17:05:29 PST 2014

Hi Tweeters,
I seldom see other birders in Wallace Swamp Creek Park, but today I saw a couple with binoculars. We exchanged sightings, I told them about the common merganser I'd seen in the sediment pond. They told me about the Dipper they watched working back & forth across the stream. They pointed me in the direction they had last seen the dipper and I was off. It's been a few years since I've seen dippers here but I knew exactly where to look. I became familiar with their favorite places the two years that they nested in the park.
I watched the bird forage for caddis fly larva for several minutes. It then moved fro the riffle he was working to a gravel bar and preened. Soon it was back in the stream working its way upstream. Around 3:45 it flew upstream, around a bend, and out of the park.
Linda Phillips
Kenmore