[Tweeters] Snohomish and Skagit Counties -- 1/18/14

Paul Webster paul.webster at comcast.net
Sun Jan 19 14:36:07 PST 2014

Hi Tweets,

Barbara and I joined Joyce Meyer and Mike West for a trip to Snohomish and
Skagit Counties. We had dry, chilly weather, with temps in the 30's and
40's and some areas of fog early. Our trip list totaled 44 species.

We started birding in Snohomish County on Norman Rd, and continued to Boe,
Thomle, and Eide Rds. After a stop in Stanwood for hot coffee we drove
north to Fir Island and then on to the Samish Flats. Highlights included a
high count of 7 American Kestrels in Skagit County. We also had good scope
views at the West 90 of 5 Short-eared Owls. A downer was the extension of
agricultural fields into the formerly scrubby area near the West 90 that
formerly provided good foraging for raptors and water for ducks. We also
found a Merlin on a power pole in the Skagit, and a Peregrine on the ground
near Bayview-Edison Rd.

Good birding!

Paul Webster
Seattle