[Tweeters] WW Scoter at Vancouver WA

Randy Hill re_hill at q.com
Sat Jan 18 18:19:03 PST 2014

The location of the male Tufted Duck (long tuft but barely raised) is the
same as two and three years ago, off Columbia Way 1.2 miles heading east
toward the Water Resources Education Center. Turn right toward the boat
ramp and Kaiser Viewing Tower and park at the first opportunity along the
river past the boat basin. There were more Barrow's Goldeneyes than Common
Goldeneyes there and both scaup species. Had Glaucous-winged and Mew Gulls,
and lots of hybrid GWxWE gulls with some interesting plumage and bills.

We continued on to the Water Resources Ed Center and found a cooperative
Red-breasted Sapsucker north of the parking lot, and a White-throated
Sparrow in the short grass just east of the feeders at the SE corner of the
building.

We did make it to Wintler Park before sunset (there is a quick entry to SR
14 under the RR tracks just west of the boat ramp turnoff) but the scaup
flocks were all to the north where we had already looked. No sign of the
scoter.

Randy Hill

Ridgefield