[Tweeters] Where have all the shorebirds gone?

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 17 21:53:27 PST 2014

Dear Bob and Tweeters,

I can't say I've made a huge effort to find shorebirds lately, but I have been out birding the flats quite a few times since the new year. I have not seen a single Dunlin this year in Skagit County. The only shorebirds I have found have been Black Oystercatchers, Black Turnstones, Greater Yellowlegs, and Killdeer. Up to the 21st of December, I was seeing fairly good flocks of Dunlin in Skagit County, with a high of 5000 birds one day, but no really large flocks. I haven't seen any Dunlin at all since a few days before Christmas.

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch