[Tweeters] Thick-billed Murre - Yes

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 19:22:45 PST 2014

Ann Marie Wood and I went west today with three target birds in mind. We dipped on the Gust Halvor Road (Kitsap) Harris's Sparrow and the Port Williams (Clallam) Yellow-billed Loon. We were, however, able to see the Port Angeles Thick-billed Murre. We coped the harbor from the ediz Hook boat ramp just outside the Coast Guard station. The murre was near a group of 7-9 Common Murres, some in nonbreeding and some in breeding plumage. They were about midway across the water, lining up the scopes with the blue-hulled Polar Endeavour. We noted the all black head and nape, the white throat that extended into the side of the neck and then the black closing across the chest just under the white throat. Although the murres were at some distance, the bill on the Thick-billed Murre appeared shorter and not uplifted as with a Common Murre.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, Wa