[Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2014-01-16

birdmarymoor at gmail.com birdmarymoor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 19:20:23 PST 2014

Tweets – the weather could have been much worse, since we were below the fog that plagued other locations. We hoped that would mean that birds dropped down from the foggy areas above, but maybe they didn’t. Bird brains. So it wasn’t all that birdy this morning, but we still managed a good walk with a pretty good list of birds, given the time of year.

Highlights: (FOY = First Of Year)

Gr. Wh.-fronted Goose 2 with large flock of geese, NW corner – FOY
Wood Duck Male seen from Lake Platform – FOY
Pied-billed Grebe Again, many dozens visible from Lake Platform
American Coot Flock of 250+, unusually high for recent times
Barn Owl Matt *heard* one from Viewing Mound, pre-dawn – FOY
Hairy Woodpecker 2 seen across slough from Lake Platform
PEREGRINE FALCON Adult sat atop fir NE of mansion – FOY
Red-winged Blackbird 30? Near lake. Singing, etc.

The passerine list is quite static these days, and is best measured by misses, rather than unusual species. Today, we couldn’t get a confirmed Pacific Wren, and while we had LINCOLN’S SPARROW, we didn’t have White-crowned Sparrow, and the only finch we had was a single HOUSE FINCH.

Matt saw a BEAVER at the Rowing Club pond pre-dawn.

For the day, 52 species. For the year, we’re up to 63 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com