[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 19:42:10 PST 2014

Hi Tweets,

We started out the year nicely with several code 3 birds: Lesser Scaup on the Edmonds part of Lake Ballinger, Common Ravens near the marsh, and on the Sound we had Common and Red-throated Loons, Brandt's Cormorants, Harlequin Duck, and Dunlins. We have also had the continuing Brewer's Blackbird along the waterfront. Code 4 birds have been a Western Gull on January 6th and a Thayer's Gull on January 13th, and a Western Meadowlark near the marsh on January 15th. The 13th of January was also notable for fly-bys over the Sound of three flocks of Northern Pintails, each group having 20+ birds. A code 2 bird seen in notable numbers was a flock of 30+ Band-tailed Pigeons flying over a north Edmonds neighborhood on January 10th. There was another code 5 sighting of a Northern Mockingbird at a private residence, also on January 10th. The homeowner reported multiple sightings over the preceding several weeks.

We have seen neither Bonaparte's Gulls nor Marbled Murrelets on the waterfront for quite a while. Mew Gull numbers are increasing a bit but the consensus is that this species is wintering in below average numbers in Snohomish County. The most consistent and abundant alcids are Pigeon Guillemot and Rhinoceros Auklet with the occasional Common Murre showing up. In the far offshore waters we are seeing Western Grebes and Brants. Yesterday, January 14th, there were over 100 Brants and a flotilla of 13 Pacific Loons. There were also four Harbor seals hauled out on the marina's south breakwater. We have had one reliable report of one Pine Siskin since the start of the year and we are still not seeing any White-throated Sparrows this fall and winter.

We are at 83 species for the year. If you would like the revised Edmonds checklist, please send your request to checklistedmonds at gmail.com.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, Wa