[Tweeters] a week in the Methow Valley

Karen Wosilait kwosilait at clearwire.net
Tue Jan 14 14:30:38 PST 2014

Hi Tweets,

I spent the last week in the Methow Valley, ostensibly on a skiing trip, but I managed to fit in a bit of birding. We were staying near Mazama, which had snow, but not many birds. Winthrop, about 15 miles away, didn't have much snow, but it had more birds.

Highlights included:

Bohemian Waxwings (several flocks, some of 100-200)
Northern Pygmy Owl (2, very close, cooperative, and photogenic)
Northern Shrike
American Dipper (caught on video doing its "Dipper Dance")
Townsend's Solitaire
Pygmy Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Mountain Chickadee
Rough-legged Hawk
Golden Eagle (on the way home)

Canvasback and Redheads were also plentiful in the Columbia River on the way there.

Here's a link to some of the photos, including the Dipper doing its "Dipper Dance."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94096770@N02/sets/72157639778746554/

Enjoy!

Karen Wosilait
Seattle, WA