[Tweeters] 2 days of wet and windy birding

Hank Heiberg hank.heiberg at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 12 09:47:34 PST 2014

A large flock of Northern Pintails have arrived in a muddy field near Sikes Lake.  Cross the Sikes Lake bridge from the Carnation Farm Road and the field will be on your left.  Karen and I saw and photographed them yesterday.  A similar flock was there for a good part of the winter last year.

Photo of pintails:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/11895109525/

As mentioned in a post yesterday we saw the Sandhill Cranes at Fairfield County Park in Monroe.  Here is a photo.  The wind and rain were impressive with  rain blowing into the car when I lowered the window to take photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/11895003035/

This morning three Trumpeter Swans landed on Lake Joy.  This is not unprecedented, but is not very common.

Photo of swans:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/11910298413/

Video of swans:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/11910511613/