[Tweeters] ST Shearwater at Rosario Head

Scott scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 12 06:10:20 PST 2014

Tweeters:

Having received a new scope from Santa from Christmas, and inspired by swirling s.w. winds,
I took a dash up to Rosario Head on Fidalgo I. to conduct a one-hour seawatch. Looking due
southwest until dusk, I had a SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER flying southbound through
extreme s.w. Skagit County and on into Island County waters. I believe it is a first for Skagit
County.

Otherwise there was not much out there, even though the swell had diminished enough that
visibility was pretty good. An interesting encounter with a common species was three
Golden-crowned Kinglets feeding on pavement by the new restrooms under construction.
The wind had apparently deposited a lot of the regular food items on the ground. I was able
to approach the birds within five feet.

Scott Atkinson
Lake Stevens
mail to: scottratkinson at hotmail.com