[Tweeters] falconspeak

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Thu Jan 9 17:25:49 PST 2014

With all the falcons getting our attention right now, I wanted to see if any of you have thoughts on a couple of falcon issues from this and last week's sightings:

A friend in Maple Leaf (neighborhood) of Seattle, last weekend, saw a larger-than-Merlin light-colored falcon or 2, fly over his neighborhood, making calls that sounded to him like Prairie Falcon audio app sounds he listened to after the sighting - he wondered if it was possible to have a PRFA in his area? I'm thinking it could have been a couple on their way up to a better winter spot or 2 in Snohomish, Skagit or Whatcom county. Of course, the recent Gyrfalcon sightings (Snohomish Co. and up in Skagit Co.) suggest the possibility of the Maple Leaf bird(s) being a Gyr?

A friend in the Victory Hts neighborhood of Seattle, across the ravine from a certain D. Paulson, and near to Maple Leaf, heard some new bird sounds and, after checking his iBirdPro audio app, he said the Gyrfalcon call sounded like what he had heard on a recent day when all the little birds disappeared from his feeders and yard.

No photos for these 2 mystery birds.

Comparing the excellent photos of the Gyrfalcon seen by Warren Clemans and his son in the Snohomish River Valley, with the great Gyr pic that James King got Monday up near Bow, WA, I'm wondering what the chances are that those 2 Gyrs are one and the same? It's hard for me to tell from the photographs.

AND, could it be that the Maple Leaf unusual "repetitive gull or eaglelike noise" and large falcon sighting was one of the same birds the other folks (including the Victory Hts. resident) had noticed?

Yeah, we'll probably never know for sure on any of this, but it's at least fun to conjecture about.

Did anyone see the Bow Gyr today (Thur. 1/9) ?

I have to confess that last Sunday I was up at Pt. Susan Bay at the end of Boe Rd. and was particularly looking for that Prairie Falcon that some had seen on a post/piece of driftwood at the edge of the water - when a light-colored falcon appeared out toward the shore, I did all I could to turn it into a PRFA, but, alas, had to relinquish my hold on that wish, when it shrank in size as it got closer to me, and then landed on a utility wire. Binocs and scope showed it to be a female American Kestrel, a tad smaller and a bit different behavior and shape from a Prairie Falcon. Sigh...

Barb Deihl

North Matthews Beach - NE Seattle

barbdeihl at comcast.net