[Tweeters] Re: Stanwood House Wren?

Vincent Lucas vincentlucas5 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 19:28:33 PST 2014

In 2012, on December 28th to be exact, I was down in Klickitat County
finishing up my Bird-A-Day Year. In a resident’s yard in Trout Lake, I was
viewing his feeders for Pygmy Nuthatches, Mountain Chickadees, White-headed
Woodpeckers, etc. As I was watching the feeders, a wren was working the
nearby shrubbery. Since I had only moved from SW FL a few months prior, I
was immediately alerted to the fact that it was a House Wren, seeing that
in SW FL our only wrens are Carolina and House Wren. I know that bird. I
spoke to the resident who told me that he had been seeing a House Wren in
his yard for several days, thus confirming the sighting. I did not get a
photo unfortunately, but I did tell Klickitat County birding guru Stuart
Johnston as I was staying at the The Columbia River Gorge Hostel aka Bingen
School Hostel where he is the caretaker. I’m confident of this sighting and
ID. Thus, I think House Wren does occur sporadically in Washington in
winter.

--
Vincent Lucas
Sequim, WA