[Tweeters] "Blue Geese" Vancouver Lake area

Kelly McAllister mcallisters4 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 7 19:00:19 PST 2014

I don't know very much about Snow Geese and I was surprised to see at least
20,000 (at least one estimate on Ebird said "50,000") on Smithville Lake
near Kansas City, Missouri two weeks ago. When Bald Eagles scared them into
flight, it was a huge swirling flock visible from great distances. Perhaps
it's a sight seen often in the Skagit. The other thing that surprised,
besides the number of geese, was the large proportion of blue phase geese. I
don't know the percentage but 10% wouldn't surprise me. There were lots blue
phase Snow Geese in this part of the country.

I also good numbers of American Tree Sparrows, Harris' Sparrows,
White-breasted Nuthatches, Carolina Wrens, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Blue
Jays, Northern Cardinals, Eastern Bluebirds, and mockingbirds. O.K., I'll
try to get myself back to seeing good birds here in the Pacific Northwest.

Kelly McAllister
Olympia, Washington