[Tweeters] Vashon Island, January 6, 2014

Ed Swan edswan at centurytel.net
Mon Jan 6 19:14:25 PST 2014

Western Grebes around Vashon have dropped by 95% since the mid-1990's,
mirroring the regional decline. The local herring population declined by a
similar number over the same period which probably is part of the equation
for Vashon.

Quartermaster Harbor became an Important Bird Area because in the 1990's
almost 10% of the wintering Washington population of Western Grebes came
there, 5000+ birds. Yesterday on the CBC we counted 42, the lowest ever.

I haven't received the numbers for Colvos Passage yet, but it probably
wasn't good.

Ed

Ed Swan

Check out the new The Birds of Vashon Island at www.theswancompany.com/books