[Tweeters] Doug. Co. Three-toed Woodpecker

merdave at homenetnw.net merdave at homenetnw.net
Sun Jan 5 11:58:50 PST 2014

Hi, Fellow Birders. Happy New Year too. Yesterday I went to Central
Ferry Canyon to try and find two birds: the recently reported Ruffed
Grouse, and the Black-backed Woodpecker seen on our CBC Dec. 21st. I
didn't find either. BUT I saw a Three-toed Woodpecker. At first I
thought I was looking at a Hairy, but then saw the golden crown! This
bird had no white between the crown and the eyes (which were in the
black). The only white was a line below the eye, and a large white
patch in the middle of the back. The bird did not drum or call, but was
picking bark off a burned tree. I've got to learn to carry my camera with
me. Sure hope someone else can find this bird, or the other two. Happy
birding. Meredith Spencer, Bridgeport